The first high power transmitting station in Ireland was officially opened by Taoiseach Eamon de Valera in Moydrum, Athlone in 1933. This radio documentary goes back in time to tell the stories about the history of the transmitter in Athlone, memories of locals when radio was called wireless, to the current days when community members make an effort to preserve the site as our national and technical heritage, a site that is still home to the old Marconi’s equipment.
Script: Gearoid O’Brien
Narrator: Phillip Gillen
Produced and edited by Irena Cvetkovic
Contributors: Jim Kearns, Tommy Mollen, Martin Hanley, Margaret Franklin, Geoffrey Foy, Carmel Feeney, Alan Shaw, Ciaran Mollooly and St Mary’s Active Age Group.
This programme was made with the support of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland
An Athlone Community Radio production