Children under the age of 16 are not eligible to use the Mixcloud Platform. If you are aged under 16, you must not attempt to register with Mixcloud or submit any personal information to us.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from any person who is under the age of 16 or allow them to register. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 16, we will delete this information immediately. If you have reason to believe that this has occurred, please email us at Privacy@Mixcloud.com, and we will delete all relevant information.
There are broadly two categories of information we collect, being:
- information that we must use in order for you to use the Mixcloud Platform; and
- information that you can choose to supply which we will use to improve your experience on the Mixcloud Platform.
In order for you to use the Mixcloud Platform, we must collect the following information. If you choose not to provide this information, you will not be able to fully utilize certain functions of the Mixcloud Platform.
2.1 Registration Data
In order to use certain features of the Mixcloud Platform, you will need to register an account. When registering you will be asked to provide an email address and create a display name and password. Please note that if you choose an username that includes or reveals your name or any other personal information, this will be publicly available on the Mixcloud Platform. If you connect to the Mixcloud Platform using credentials from a third-party application, website or service such as Facebook, you authorize us to collect your authentication information, being your Facebook User ID.
2.2 Ongoing Usage Data
When you use the Mixcloud Platform, we collect a variety of information relating to your ongoing user activity, including:
- How you use the Mixcloud Platform: the audio content you listen to or upload, how long you listen to it, who you follow and who follows you, your sharing activity, including reposts, comments and favorites. This information is made publicly available to other users of the Mixcloud Platform;
- Technical data: the Internet Protocol (IP) of your computer, the types of device you are using to access the Mixcloud Platform, the operating system and/or the software you are using to access the Mixcloud Platform; and
- Location information: we keep track of the domains from which you visit the Mixcloud Platform (but we cannot see a zip code or postal code unless you choose to explicitly provide this information to us).
2.3 Payment Data
If you choose to purchase a service provided by us on the Mixcloud Platform (such as a Mixcloud pro account), your credit or debit card information and other financial data which you submit that is needed to process your payment will be collected by the payment processor with which we work. We will also collect some account details (such as the last 4 digits of your card number and the expiry date and your postal code).
If you choose to purchase audio or other goods or services by clicking on a third-party link provided on the Mixcloud Platform (for example, a link to www.amazon.com), such third party may collect your credit or debit card information (and other necessary financial information) for the purpose of completing a transaction. We may be provided with confirmation of your transactions with such third parties and, in some instances, such confirmation may include your personal information. Aside from such confirmations, the only information that we will collect from such third-party links is: (a) the aggregate number of Mixcloud users who utilized such third-party links; and (b) the number of purchases made by these generic users.
You can choose to supply us with the following information which we will use to improve your experience on the Mixcloud Platform.
2.4 Profile Data
Within your profile settings, you can choose to provide certain information, including a biography, country and city location, age and gender and a profile picture. Whether you choose to provide such information is entirely optional. If you do provide such information, this information may be made available to third parties in certain instances. .
Where you upload photographs or other content as part of your user profile, we will be entitled to use those photographs and content in accordance with our Terms & Conditions. We discourage you from uploading photographs of friends or other people without their permission.
2.5 Connected Social Media Data
Within your profile settings, you can choose to connect to certain third-party applications, including Facebook and Twitter. In such instances, we will collect the following information:
Consistent with the permissions you give us to collect the information, we will process the information for broadly two purposes, being: 1) to operate the Mixcloud Platform and any associated services securely; and 2/ to personalize and improve your experience on the Mixcloud Platform and any associated services. We store your data for as long as long as is necessary to continue providing a great continuous experience on the Mixcloud Platform or until requested otherwise by you.
3.1 Operating the Mixcloud Platform securely
- We will use your Registration Data to verify and identify you when you log into the Mixcloud Platform and to operate your Mixcloud account, preventing any unauthorized or illegal activity;
- We will use your Registration Data to identify any contributions you make to the platform, be that your uploads, listens or other activity on the Mixcloud Platform;
- We will use your Ongoing Usage Data to make the Mixcloud Platform as interactive as possible and provide other uploaders and listeners with insights about listening behavior on Mixcloud Platform. Note that certain Ongoing Usage Data relating to how you use the Mixcloud Platform will be made publicly available to others of the Mixcloud platform by default;
- In order so that we can comply with our legal obligations as a licensed provider of audio content, we will use your Registration Data, Ongoing Usage Data and Profile Data (if you choose to provide it) to report to rights holders as part of our licensing framework;
- We will use your Registration Data to respond to any comments or enquiries which you submit to us and to provide you with customer and technical support;
- If you purchase a service provided by us on the Mixcloud Platform, the information which is necessary to make payment will be collected and processed by the payment processor with which we work. We will collect some non-identifiable account details in order to comply with our legal obligations to governmental authorities, such as HM Revenue & Customs in the United Kingdom;
- We will use your age to enable age restrictions where appropriate;
In addition to any specific grounds stated above, it is necessary for us to process the above information in the manner described to ensure our legitimate interest of operating the Mixcloud Platform securely and for the performance of our contractual obligations with you (such as our Terms & Conditions).
3.2 Personalizing and improving your experience on the Mixcloud Platform
- We will use your Registration Data, Ongoing Usage Data, Profile Data, Connected Social Media Data to customize your experience on the Mixcloud Platform, such as providing tailored recommendations as to what user profiles to follow, suggesting certain audio content in your music feed and queuing up audio content to play “up next” after your chosen selection ends;
- We will use your Registration Data, Ongoing Usage Data, Profile Data and Connected Social Media Data to customize any communications (including emails, push notifications or in-app messages) we send to you about the Mixcloud Platform, including any changes to the Mixcloud Platform. Such communications will be consistent with any permissions you have communicated to us, which are accessible in the Notifications panel of your settings;
- We will use your Registration Data, Ongoing Usage Data, Profile Data and Connected Social Media Data to ensure that any advertising or promotions on the Mixcloud Platform (including for third party products and services) is relevant to you. We will never permit any third parties to contact you directly unsolicited, unless you have provided your express consent;
- We may make your Registration Data and aspects of your Ongoing Usage Data relating to how you use the Mixcloud Platform available to third party developers via our open application interface (the “API”) so that they develop services which are complementary to the Mixcloud Platform;
In addition to any specific grounds stated above, it is necessary for us to we process the above information in the manner described to ensure our legitimate interest of personalizing and improving your experience on the Mixcloud Platform, so that the service we are providing is always interesting to you.
We will also use data we collect to conduct aggregated and anonymized analysis of users’ listening behavior on the Mixcloud Platform.
Information which we collect and process may be shared by either you or us in certain circumstances.
4.1 Sharing by you
- Information made public by default: Mixcloud is about a community of like minder users. Therefore, certain information relating to your Registration Data, Ongoing Usage Data and Profile Data is always publicly available to ensure that the Mixcloud Platform is interactive as possible. Your username, profile picture, who you follow, who follows you, your sharing activity (including reposts, comments and favorites) are made publicly available by default. This information will automatically be accessible to others who view your Mixcloud profile. In the future, we may offer other interactive features which will make certain information publicly available;
4.2 Sharing by us
- Rights holders: Mixcloud is committed to ensuring that artists are rewarded for their work. Therefore, we are committed to licensing from relevant rights holders. As part of our licensing framework, we are required to share certain information with rights holders. Such rights holders will use this information to evaluate how the audio content they are licensing is performing. We will share information on an aggregated and anonymized basis that does not identify you directly;
- Commercial partners: Mixcloud works with a range of commercial partners across a number of business purposes, including brand partnerships. We may share certain information with these commercial partners on an aggregated and anonymized basis in order to provide insights as to the use of the Mixcloud Platform. We may also share certain information in order so they can contact you about services which you are interested in (such as redemption of prizes from Mixcloud competitions) and to which you have provided your express consent;
- Advertising: we share certain of your Ongoing Usage Data and Profile Data with advertising platforms on an aggregated and anonymized basis in order so that advertisements on the Mixcloud Platform are tailored and relevant to you;
- Service providers: we utilize a number of service providers to help us with a variety of important functions, including ensuring the security and operational functionality of the Mixcloud Platform. We share certain information with these service providers in order so that they can provide these services to us and so that we can perform our obligations with you. Some of these service providers may be located outside of the European Economic Area;
- Third party developers: Mixcloud encourages and fosters development of new services which help improve the Mixcloud community. Therefore, we allow third party developers via our API to use information that is public by default. This allows these developers to build parts of the Mixcloud Platform into their own offerings. Some of these third-party developers may be located outside of the European Economic Area;
- Compliance with laws: we may disclose information to any courts, law enforcement bodies or governmental authorities in order to comply with our legal obligations and respond to any claims asserted against us. We will only disclose information to the extent we are legally obligated to do so;
You can always report any suspected misuse of your personal information to us by emailing us at Privacy@Mixcloud.com and we will investigate your claim as soon as practicable.
You can change and customize the communications which you receive from us in your settings. We will ensure that any communications (being emails, push notifications or in-app messages) reflect your settings. However, as explained in section 4.1, certain information about your Ongoing Usage Data is made public by default.
We utilize appropriate safeguards, such as standard contractual clauses from the European Commission or a relevant supervisory authority, in order to ensure that any transfer of your personal data outside of the European Economic Area will be lawful and safe. Further information on these safeguards can be provided upon request by emailing us at Privacy@Mixcloud.com.
Users located in certain countries, including the European Union, are afforded specific rights regarding their personal information. Subject to eligibility, users in the European Union have the following rights:
- Right to Access: you may request to confirm whether or not we are processing your personal data. If we are, you can request a copy of your personal data, which we provide free of charge in the initial instance. Further copies may incur a reasonable administrative fee;
- Right to Data Portability: the copy of your personal data we provide to you will be in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You shall be entitled to transmit this personal data to another entity;
- Right to Erasure: you may request the erasure of your personal data;
- Right to Object: you may object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to processing of your personal data. If you are eligible to exercise this right, we will ensure that your personal data will no longer be processed for such purposes by us, unless we are required to do so by law or there are overriding compelling legitimate grounds for the continuation of the processing;
- Right to Rectification: you may ask us to change or update your personal data, especially if it is inaccurate;
- Right to Restriction of Processing: you may request us to restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, such as if it is inaccurate or unlawfully held;
- Right to Withdraw Consent: where you have consented to the processing of your personal information by us, you may withdraw your consent at any time by modifying the relevant account settings or emailing us at Privacy@Mixcloud.com. Note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing of your information by us before the withdrawal of your consent.
8.1 Cookies explained
A cookie is a small file which may be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once the file is added, the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. There are “persistent” cookies, which stay on your device for a set period of time or until deleted, and “session” cookies, which expire once your web browser is closed.
There are also other similar technologies which help to identify your device when you return to an app or use a service, including pixel tags (transparent graphic images which indicate that a page or an email has been viewed) and mobile device identifiers.
We also integrate Software Development Kits, which is code that third party developers need to include to ensure the functionality of their services with the Mixcloud Platform. We may use this technology, for instance, to allow you to connect your social media to the Mixcloud Platform as described in section 2.5.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. We have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect, including a security breach protocol. However, no security measures can ever be completely secure, therefore we cannot guarantee that these measures will stop any users try to get around the privacy or security settings on the Mixcloud Platform through unforeseen and/or illegal means.
In the event that we believe that the security of your personal information in our possession or control may have been compromised or could be at risk, we will seek to notify you as promptly as possible. If we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail.
You should never disclose your account password to anyone else.