In the first of our Snippet series, I share my thoughts on women and entrepreneurship straight from the pages in my book Your Brilliant Un-Career: Women, Entrepreneurship, and Making the Leap. In a world that is becoming increasingly geared toward independent enterprise and technology, it’s entrepreneurship that affords women the greatest autonomy and scope to leave their legacy.
* Much has changed for women in the past few years.
* It was as if being a mother excluded me from fully participating in the corporate world.
* There are a lot of women out there who are struggling to meet their personal goals and needs.
* A US study on successful women entrepreneurs showed that women-owned businesses are less likely to attract funding, less likely to be scaled into larger businesses and less likely to survive beyond two years.
* According to the 2013 Amex Open Forum study on The State of Women-owned Businesses, only 2% of women-owned businesses have broken through the one million doll