As the LORD was passing by, a fierce wind tore mountains and shattered rocks ahead of the LORD. But the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind came an earthquake. But the LORD wasn’t in the earthquake. After the earthquake there was a fire. But the LORD wasn’t in the fire. And after the fire there was a quiet, whispering voice.
1 Kings 19:11-12 [GW]
I can better hear God when I…
1. Create more space in my life.
- Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Mark 1:35 [NIV]
- I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.
Psalm 130:5 [NIV]
2. Get familiar with God’s voice.
- Samuel did not yet know the LORD: The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him.
1 Samuel 3:7 [NIV]
- “I am the good shepherd: I know my sheep and my sheep know me.”
John 10:14 [NIV]
- “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”
John 10:27 [NIV]
3. Actively listen