Derbyshire, United Kingdom
St. Wilfrid’s is a beautiful medieval building in Barrow upon Trent, Derbyshire overlooking the Trent valley. The Church, at one time, was an outpost for the Knights Hospitallers of St John, and has many interesting features, old and new.
The Knights Hospitallers, who were given our Church and surrounding land in 1165, were a change-making presence in our small village.
These Knights played a major role in the crusades, had great political influence throughout European history, had large estates across the continent, and at one time were the largest landowners in England. Research shows only two British churches developed by the Hospitallers remain structurally unchanged since the Order was dissolved in 1540; our Church is one of these.
We want to preserve and celebrate this important heritage site, transforming it into a multi-function building fit for research, education and community use, with the ability to sustain itself.