The purpose of the Triumphal entry was to define the Kingship of Jesus:
1. He is the conquering King.
* The Son of David title is the Messianic King: the final King of the World. When Jesus was proclaimed the Son of David at the Triumphal Entry it meant: ultimate king, final king of the world, and Jesus responds yes that is me, because he receives it.
* Matthew 21:5a Behold your king is coming to you…
(Revelation 19: 11-13 – Coming as conqueror)
2. He is the humble King.
* Matthew 21:5b - …humble, and mounted on a donkey…
* Matthew 20:25-28 (ESV) But Jesus called them to him and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 26 It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
3. Salvation is through Chris