Spencer is an American family physician who specializes in helping people with obesity. He helps his patients with lifestyle interventions first, via diet and exercise, before using to his prescription pad wherever possible.
We talk about many topics: why obesity has been recently classified as a disease, why calories in vs calories out is what determines weight loss, but telling someone to eat less and move more doesn't generally work, how spencer gets buy in from his patients, how certain medicines can cause side effects that hamper weight loss, how to look at and interpret your cholesterol numbers, and the potential dangers of bulletproof coffee.
- Why Spencer puts diet and exercise first. [0'30]
- The reasons why doctors don't generally put diet and exercise as medicine first. [3'00]
- How Spencer gets 'buy in' from patients. [6'30]
- Why obesity has been classified as a disease [10'30]
- "Is it not just about calories in, calories out?" - "Yes but not entirely." [13