Our guest Colleen Brown is going to be talking about The Bulford Kiwi. The Kiwi was constructed on Beacon Hill overlooking Sling Camp (now gone), part of Bulford Camp, during the occupation of the Camp by New Zealand troops which began in June 1916. After the war was over the troops were eager to return home, but no troop ships were available. In the wake of riots by disaffected New Zealanders, officers decided that the troops should be kept busy carving an enormous kiwi into the chalk of the hill. This was done in February and March 1919.