Questions for Reflection/Discussion:
1. What New Years’ Resolutions have you made and why?
2. In what ways did you witness (or personally experience) discontent this past Christmas? Why?
3. Looking at the above notes, what, in your own life has gone from a want, to a need to a right? Why do you think that is? In what ways does this thing cause discontentment in your life?
4. Paul says in Phil. 4:11 that he has learned to be content in any and every situation. What might be one way that you could intentionally change your circumstances to try to learn contentment in the next week or month?
5. Read Philippians 4:13. Paul reveals here the “secret” to contentment. Give one example of how this secret could bring real and practical contentment in your own life?
6. In what ways do you seek contentment by your own “self-sufficiency”? In what ways do you need to replace this self-sufficiency with “Christ-sufficiency”?