SERMON NOTES (click arrow to the right to open)
To focus on what the Sabbath is and why we need it.
1. The first time we hear of Sabbath in the Bible is the story of creation. God sets out to create beauty and order and purpose with BOUNDARIES.
2. God describes this glorious act of creation as work. The first six days, God works, and gives us the capacity for and the amazing gift of WORK.
3. On the seventh day God rested from all his work. No, He wasn’t tired (Isaiah 40:28). The word translated REST is Shabbat in Hebrew. More accurate translation is “Stop, already!”
4. God was creating and honoring boundaries all the way through creation. The final boundary He set up was the Sabbath day.
5. The most fascinating and most ignored of creation boundaries –the Sabbath.
6. The Sabbath is the very first thing in the Bible described and declared as holy.
7. Work is a profoundly Godly activity. When we work—doing what we were made to do—we experience the deep joy of