Today we are talking about one of the most important skills a person can have: listening. Being a good listener can help you professionally as well as personally. It can improve the relationship with your spouse and help create a good relationship with your children.
However, research suggests that we remember only 25-50 percent of what we hear. So the reality is that most people are not good listeners. As men, I can probably say in general we are not as good listeners as women.
Here are 11 tips:
1. Avoid interruptions – Don’t conversation hijak telling them that you understand prematurely. Allow the person to finish their thought. Slow down
2. Stop Thinking about your response. focus on the other person. It’s not about you.
3. Ask questions – come from a place of curiosity not judgement
4. Clarify their statement – it’s ok to repeat what they say or to confirm what they are saying to ensure you understand
5. Looks at the person directly in their eyes or at least close to them. Face th