This week we share the Art Is King panel discussion from Tuesday October 7 at Emory University
Art Is King 2014: Art Business Discussion Panel pt 5
WOMEN IN THE ARTS - where are the women artists?
Some stats to consider:
National Museum of Women in the Arts
· 51% of visual artists today are women.
· Only 28% of museum solo exhibitions spotlighted women in eight selected museums throughout the 2000s.
· Only 27 women are represented in current edition of H.W. Janson’s survey, History of Art—up from zero in the 1980s.
· From 16–19th centuries, women were barred from studying the nude model, which formed the basis for academic training and representation.
· Though women earn half of the MFAs granted in the US, only a quarter of solo exhibitions in New York galleries feature women.
· Women lag behind men in directorships held at museums with budgets over $15 million, holding 24% of art museum director positions and earning 7