"Attack the Block" DJ Competition, in association with BassLaced
CLOSED: This competition is closed
Attack the Block is the hilarious and terrifying debut film from broadcaster and comedian, Joe Cornish (The Adam and Joe Show), and featuring a soundtrack from Felix Buxton and Simon Ratcliffe (aka Basement Jaxx) and Steven Price.
To celebrate the film's release on Blu-ray Double Play and DVD, we've teamed up with dubstep pioneers BassLaced, in association with GetDarker and Juno DJ, for a very special DJ competition. The best DJ will play a set at 'BassLaced Gets Darker' (alongside the likes of Joker and Toddla T), and win £500 worth of DJ equipment courtesy of Juno.
'BassLaced Gets Darker' will be held at Cable nightclub on Friday 21st October, and sees a huge line up descend upon “London’s best club venue” (Time Out Magazine). Performing on the night will be Joker, Toddla T, Mensah, Kromester, Tunnidge and DJ Darkside. This competition gives you an incredible chance to play at this unique event while being broadcast live to the world via GetDarkerTV.
We're looking for DJs to reflect the vibe and sound of Attack the Block's soundtrack. Get inspiration by listening to the album on Spotify, here. In addition, all competition entries must begin with this fresh Attack the Block DJ Competition introduction, which you can download here. Check out the instructions below for more details on how to enter.
- All competition entries must begin with the Attack the Block DJ Competition intro, which you can download here (Right click, 'Save link as...')
- Upload a 20-30 minute bass mix to Mixcloud
- Title the mix: "Attack the Block" DJ Competition
- Tag the mix both: "Attack the Block" DJ Competition and BassLaced
- Include the competition cover-art, found here
- Failure to include the pre-roll, or use the correct tags, title and artwork could see your mix disqualified
- Finalists will be expected to play live on GetDarkerTV on Tuesday 18th October, so must be prepared and able to travel to London on that day
- Entrants will be judged on factors including (but not necessarily limited to) track selection, originality, creativity and technical ability
- Mixes must have a minimum of 50 plays by the deadline date in order to be considered for the shortlist
- Three finalists will perform live on GetDarkerTV on Tuesday 18th October and the winner will be selected by the viewers
The Grand Prize:
- Play a set at 'BassLaced Gets Darker' on the 21st October, including: free drinks on the night, +2 guest-list, your set streamed live to the world via GetDarkerTV
- £500 Juno hardware voucher
- Play live on GetDarkerTV, Tuesday 18th October
Important note - we will not tolerate spammy behavior on the Mixcloud platform. Do NOT fire out dozens of comments asking people to listen to your entry if you've never bothered to engage with them or their Cloudcasts. Do NOT favorite dozens of other entries that you haven't bothered listening to, just to get their attention. If we spot this behavior you will not be put forward to the final stage.
More information on our partners:
Attack the Block
Described as “Nothing less than the new Shaun of the Dead” by Empire, Attack the Block is a fast, funny, frightening action adventure movie that pits a teen gang against an invasion of savage alien monsters. It turns a London housing estate into a sci-fi playground. A tower block into a fortress under siege. And teenage street kids into heroes. It's inner city versus outer space.
Starring Nick Frost, John Boyega, Luke Treadaway and Jodie Whitaker and executive produced by Edgar Wright, Attack the Block is released on Blu-ray Double Play and DVD on September 19th. Pre-order your copy here
BassLaced is one the UK's leading underground music brands and brings you the best the UK can offer each month.
GetDarker is respected as one of the most popular yet credible brands throughout dubstep. An endorsed independent online magazine devoted to dubstep music and UK underground culture. Evolving from an original site launched in 2003, GetDarker has since expanded beyond its London, UK roots and now has strong support from a global audience.
GetDarker has bolstered its brand as an award-winning leader in dubstep via the TV-advertised compilation series This Is Dubstep, weekly GetDarkerTV webcasts, a Top 15 podcast, merchandise and exposure at UK festivals and international tours. Showcasing the full spectrum of the genre, these multi-media platforms have provided exposure to up and coming artists as well as bringing the audience closer to the scene's biggest stars.
Juno Records is the world's largest dance music store. Based in London, our web site was launched in March 1996, and since then we have built a reputation as the most comprehensive source for new and back catalogue dance music. We now offer over 700 new releases each week, and have more than 62,000 titles in stock. Since 2006 we have also sold downloads in MP3 and WAV formats, and a wide range of DJ equipment and accessories.
Terms and conditions
Competition will close on Sunday 9th October. Competition is open to UK participants only. There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions. Winners will be picked by BassLaced and contacted by Mixcloud. The Editor's decision is final and binding on the entrants. No correspondence will be entered into.
See Mixcloud's full Compeititon Terms & Conditions for further details.